Wednesday 17 April 2013

Language Bridges Program, an experience to remember


For this blog post I will talk about my experience at Language Bridges Program.  To me this club was not only about teaching English to workers, in fact I learned as much as the workers did. I know how English is important to them, and so my primary goal was to teach them English, but at the same time I wanted them to have fun and enjoy their time in class. In the first class, I was able to know all the students, their levels and a little about their lives. 



So, my group and me decided to watch a movie for one of our classes so that they can come the next class and write about it. The movie was English Vnglish and it talks about an Indian woman who went to America to visit some relatives there but didn’t know how to speak English. She faced some problems with communicating with people, which made her want to learn English even more. I think this movie has a take away lesson, because being in a foreign country where no one understands you language is hard. You will eventually find a language that will allow you to communicate better with people around you. And this is what we told our students, is that learning English is important or otherwise you will not be here learning it. Its not easy but not impossible. The students actually liked the movie very much and in the next class, which was a writing class we asked them to write about the movie and they all talked about the importance of English. 

 We’ve decided to tech them things that will benefit them in their daily lives. So, we asked them to write down on a paper the things they would like to learn. And almost all of them wanted to learn how to deal with costumer and what are the vocabulary they should learn that would make them better with dealing with costumers. In the following class we arranged the class where every student will have to sit with a teacher and play the role of the security guy and teachers were the costumer, and vice versa in the second round.
This experience with LBP has developed skills in me, such as teamwork. We (the teachers) as a team worked so hard to give the students the best education we could in a limited time. We also wanted them to enjoy being here and want to learn even more. So, this teamwork experience I believe was beneficial for me as much as it was for the students.  

No comments:

Post a Comment