Saturday 20 April 2013

Teaching is not as easy as it seems


Teaching is not as easy as it seems


Most people think that teaching is easy and does not require a-lot of works since they see their teachers/professors explain their subjects with ease. However, in reality it is not as easy as one thinks it to be, and that is what I have learned during my time teaching the UDC workers for the LB program.  Furthermore, me and my team had a-bit more work to do since the materials that were given to us to, both the  beginner  and intermediate teach the migrate workers  turned  out  to be  actually very  easy for them .

After discovering that the course work was easy for the migrate works, me and my team decided that we should find out what area were the students weak in and try to focus on that. To find out the areas the workers were weak at, me and my team asked them a few questions and made them write a few sentences. Looking at their replies and what the workers wrote, we saw that they can read and write and know most of the basic stuff, but were lacking a-bit in the grammar and so me and my team decided that we will focus on improving their grammar.

Our main focus  was teaching them grammar, however, from time to time  we try to  ask out students  what do they  want to  learn  because  the whole purpose  of the LB program is to help  the migrate workers in their work life. So we preformed some skits and taught them how to give direction, how to answer questions, and mainly how to communicate with their customers & managers since that is what they really wanted.

As it can be seen it  was not easy for me and my team since  we had to find the right  thing to teach the workers  and develop new course work  other than what was given to us  to help  the worker. But in the end I actually am happy that I taught the workers English  since  it really is  an important  tool of communication  and  I am glad that  they  will  do use what we taught them in class in their  career.




No comments:

Post a Comment